Player activation, the act of associating an in-venue Player with an Intuiface account and - if available - a paid license, can be accomplished via a wide array of methods. These options accommodate an equally wide array of deployment scenarios, such as bulk licensing, keyboardless licensing, and more. Each approach achieves the same goal, so choose the one best suited to your needs.
Each method in this article applies to all in-venue Player-supported platforms unless explicitly noted otherwise.
NOTE: This article is about licensing Player when used in-venue - i.e. a Player installed to run natively on Windows, Android, BrightSign OS, Samsung Tizen, Chrome OS, and Raspberry Pi OS. A different process is used for the licensing of web and Progressive Web App deployments.
When Player is first launched, its activation screen is displayed. Most Player activation options are initiated from this screen.
Exclusively for the iPad, the activation screen looks a bit different - the QR code is removed.
Activation Option #1: Scan the QR code
Player platforms: Not supported on the iPad.
Scan the QR code using any mobile device and open the associated URL.
You will be asked to log into your Intuiface account if you aren't logged in already. The "Single Player Activation - License Selection" page is then loaded, on which you select a license and optionally define some Player parameters. This license is automatically assigned to the Player device.
Activation Option #2: Use the activation code
Player platforms: All.
- Click the "Player Activation" link in the bottom-right corner of the screen. You will be asked to log into your Intuiface account if you aren't logged in already.
- Visit the Single Player Activation page, log into your Intuiface account if necessary, and manually enter the eight-digit activation code.
Both approaches will open the "Single Player Activation - License Selection" page on which you select a license and optionally define some Player parameters. This license is automatically assigned to the Player device.
Activation Option #3: Enter User ID and Password
Player platforms: All.
Enter the email address of your Intuiface account in the edit box in the upper-right corner of the screen. Click the Next button. Then, enter your account password and click the Login button. An unassigned license will be selected for you.
Activation Option #4: Enter a license key
Player platforms: All.
Enter any unassigned license key into the edit box in the screen's upper-right corner. Click the Next button. The specified license will be assigned to this Player.
Activation Option #5: Enter a credential key
Player platforms: All.
Enter your Intuiface account's "Hands-free licensing" credential key into the edit box in the screen's upper-right corner. Click the Next button. An unassigned license will be selected for you. The license selection rule will be to take the license with the farthest renewal date in the future.
See our article about credential key management if you need to create a key.
Activation Option #6: Batch Player activation
Player platforms: Not supported on iPad, Chrome OS.
With this approach, multiple Players can be activated in a single step. See our article about batch Player activation for details.
Activation Option #7: Self-licensing (Player on Windows only)
Player platforms: Windows only.
Exclusively for Player on Windows, a Windows image can be prepared with Intuiface Player preinstalled alongside a special licensing file. This Windows image can then be installed on any number of PCs. When Player is launched, it will automatically attempt to retrieve an available, unassigned license.
See our article about Player self-licensing for details.
You must select a license when using the QR code or activation code options to activate a Player. This selection is made on the "Single Player Activation - License Selection" page. This page also enables you to assign values to the Player properties displayed in the My Players view of the Share and Deploy Console.
NOTE: Only those with an Enterprise-level account can access the Share and Deploy Console.
License selection options
There are two license selection options:
- "Select a license automatically"
Intuiface will select a license from the list of available, unassigned licenses. The license selection rule is to take the license with the farthest renewal date in the future.
- "Choose a specific license"
A list of available, unassigned licenses will be listed. Select the license you wish to use.
In the bottom section of the License Selection page, you can assign values to a variety of Player properties.
Case insensitive value that will appear in the My Players view of the Share and Deploy console. It replaces the name assigned to the device itself.
Enter any one or more text strings without spaces and press the Enter key to save them. See the article about Player Tags for more details.
These notes will appear in the My Players view of the Share and Deploy console.
- Data Point Processing
Optional. Specify whether a particular Player should collect data for Intuiface Analytics.
General notes about licensing
- There is no account-specific installer for Player. Just use the platform-specific option specified on the Intuiface Installers page.
- Be sure to log into Player using the same Intuiface account used with Composer. Mismatched Intuiface accounts will prevent Player from accessing experiences.
- The clock for subscription licenses - the time during which you have been entitled to use Player - begins at the moment of purchase. Because the entitlement clock starts at purchase, you should align the timing of your purchase with an active need.
- A live Internet connection is required to activate a license. Offline license activation is not possible.
- Once payment has been collected, subscription renewal requires Internet-mediated activation (phone activation is not available) no more than five days after the beginning of a new period. After that five-day grace period, in the absence of Internet-mediated activation, Player will cease to work. You must establish an Internet connection on each device to activate these licenses. If you plan to use subscription-based licenses in an environment without Internet access, make sure those licenses will not expire while offline.
- License verification will also occur automatically under certain circumstances, including whenever Player software is updated. See our article about the frequency of license verification for details.
- If using virtual machines to run Windows, release your Player license before upgrading the Windows OS. The upgraded Windows instance will look to the Intuiface license server like a different PC from the original.