Base duplication is the process of creating a base copy. There are circumstances where this duplication occurs automatically and others where it can be performed manually. With manual duplication, the copy can contain the original base's structure or both the structure and content; for automated duplication, the entire base is copied.
This article explains the base duplication process.
Duplication rights and base ownership
Any Intuiface account granted Dashboard permissions for a base - called an "invited account" - can duplicate that base.
- Manual duplication performed by the base owner will place the copy in the base owner's account. This new base will not grant edit rights to any invited accounts.
- Manual duplication performed by invited accounts will place the base copy in the invited account's storage.
- Automated duplication - when an invited account uses "Save as" in Composer - places a base copy in the invited account's storage.
Automated base duplication when saving a shared experience in Composer
When the owning Intuiface account shares experiences with a different Intuiface account, that receiving account can "Save as" the experience in Composer. This "Save as" action includes the ability to create base copies - linked to the experience copy - if the receiving account has Dashboard rights for each base the experience uses.
- Open the shared experience in Composer.
- In Composer, select the menu option File -> Save As... and give the project copy a name. When you're happy with the name, click the OK button.
- The following pop-up will appear:
All of the bases used by the shared experience will be listed in this pop-up. By clicking the "Duplicate" button, you will create a copy of each base that will be stored in your Intuiface account. All connections between the original experience and the original bases will be recreated between the experience copy and the base copies.
Clicking the "Don't duplicate" button will create connections between the experience copy and the original bases owned by the sharing Intuiface account.
Manual base duplication in Headless CMS
- Open a base in Headless CMS.
- On the Dashboard tab, select one of the two base duplication options in the "Base Actions" section on the right side.
- Duplicate the Structure
Select this option to create a new base containing a data structure identical to the current base. All content in the current base is ignored.
- Duplicate the Structure and Content
Select this option to create a new base containing a data structure identical to the current base and all of the current base's content.
- Duplicate the Structure
For either duplication option, a new base is created. As noted above, duplication by the base owner will place the new base in the original base owner's account. Duplication performed by invited Intuiface accounts will place the new base in the invited account.
Open the new base to assign a preferred name on the Dashboard tab.
Video explanation - Manually duplicating Headless CMS bases
You will find, in the Quarterly Q&A Live - Winter edition 2022 video, a detailed video of how to manually duplicate bases using Headless CMS.
(The embedded video below starts at the beginning of the recording. Fast forward to 31'00".)
Duplicating bases used by Marketplace experiences
All Intuiface accounts have Dashboard rights for bases used by Marketplace experiences. This means any Intuiface account can use the Save As feature of Composer, as described above, to make a copy of both the downloaded experiences and of the bases it uses.