As an alternative to deploying experiences to the web, experiences can be deployed to Intuiface Player, the Intuiface runtime. Install Player on any of seven different operating systems - Windows, Android, BrightSign, iOS (on the iPad), Samsung Tizen, Chrome OS, and Raspberry Pi OS - and you can push an experience to that device and run it no matter where that device is located is in the world.
We call this "remote deployment". It is "remote" because you control experience deployment at a distance from the target device - i.e. that target device is remote.
If you only have a small number of devices running Player, and all are located conveniently, you can manually - at every device - tell Player to download an experience and run it. Once you have a large number of devices and/or once some of those devices are not easily reached, you're going to want to use remote deployment.
Here's how to do it.
Remotely deploy "My First Project" to Player
Install Player on your PC
To simplify this exercise, we will install Player on the same Windows PC you're using to run Composer. We have articles elsewhere in this Help Center that explain how to install Player on other operating systems.
- On the same PC as Composer, open the Installers page of the My Intuiface website. Log into your Intuiface account if you're not already logged in.
- Download the Windows version of Player by clicking the associated link.
- Run the downloaded file to install Player on your PC. Click "Finish" in the installer when the installation process is complete.
- Launch Player. You could double-click the shortcut on your PC's desktop. Or, in the Start menu, you'll find it under "IntuiLab".
- In the Player activation window, type your Intuiface account's email address in the login field, then click "Next".
- Enter your password and then click the "Login" button.
- Player is now running and has taken an available Player license in your account. (NOTE: All Trial accounts have one free Player license.)
On Windows PCs, independent of what you see, there is a separate Player service that runs in the background. It is this service that is used for remote deployment. The part of Player you currently see is used mainly for manual, on-device deployment.
Go ahead and close Player.
Publish your experience in Composer
We must now publish your experience in Composer. To "publish" an experience is to place a copy of that experience in the cloud. It is in the cloud that you manage remote deployment.
If you've already published a version of your experience and want to deploy it, 1) go the Share and Deploy Console, 2) click your experience to open the Experience Details panel, 3) return to this article and jump down to the next section.
- Return to your project in Composer.
- Select the File menu option "Publish to share or deploy"
- If this is the first time you've published an experience, you will see the following pop-up. If so, click "Yes, go ahead".
- When the publishing process completes, the Experience Details page for your experience will be opened in your web browser.
If you've never published an experience before, you must first dismiss the following pop-up by clicking the "I got it" button.
Remotely deploy the published experience to Player
Let's deploy your experience to the Player you just installed. NOTE: This process will be identical if the targeted Player is on another device.
Here, we're starting with the experience and specifying the devices on which it should be deployed.
- Select the "Deploy in-venue" tab.
- You should see your Windows PC in the list just below the tab. Check the box next to your PC's name. What we're doing is specifying on which devices you want to deploy your experience to Player.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page.
The "Push" checkbox refers to the process of copying the published experience to the specified device(s). The "Play" checkbox refers to launching the latest version of the experience on the specified device(s). Since both are checked, deployment will first push the latest version of the experience and then play that version. This is what we want.
If we click the calendar icon, we can schedule this deployment for the future - but we won't do that here.
Just click the "Deploy" button.
- The experience is now being copied to an on-device storage location used by Player. It could take a minute or so.
Wait for Player to launch. A few moments later, your experience will run. Did you make any changes to the experience? If so, do you see those changes? Great job!
To exit the running experience in Player, click the Esc (Escape) button on your keyboard.