Player Next Gen (PLN) on the web is licensed in a uniquely different way from all other current-gen and next-gen Player deployments. When on the web, licensing is based on the number of views an experience will support.
Intuiface accounts purchase views licenses, determining a views quota for each calendar month.
The smallest number of views supported by a Web Views license is 1000. This number is experience-independent - i.e., all web-deployed experiences for a single Intuiface account draw from the same views pool. Additional views can be purchased in packages of 1000.
Intuiface refers to the maximum number of views for an Intuiface account as the "quota". Quotas apply to a calendar month, independent of when the views purchase occurs. This quota collectively applies to the Primary Account and all associated Secondary Accounts. Secondary accounts cannot have an independently purchased views quota.
Unused views for a calendar month are NOT carried over to the next month.
When a view is counted (and not counted)
- A view is counted every time a visible webpage containing an Intuiface experience is 1) loaded, 2) reloaded, or 3) every 20 minutes. "Containing" means the Intuiface experience is either a webpage or embedded in an iFrame.
The 20-minute clock cannot be interrupted except by a webpage load (the clock is then restarted) or by a webpage close (tab or browser is closed, OS shut down, etc.).
A view is counted after the 20-minute clock lapses if:
- The browser and browser tab displaying the page are not hidden. "Hidden" means the entire webpage is not visible - eg. the browser is minimized or the browser tab with the Intuiface experience is not selected.
- The browser and browser tab are hidden and become visible - whether active (the webpage has focus) or passive (any portion of the browser displaying the webpage is visible, but no focus).
If the webpage containing an Intuiface iFrame is visible (active or passive), but the iFrame itself is not visible (you need to scroll to see the iFrame), the webpage is still considered visible.
A view is counted after the 20-minute clock lapses if the device is online (i.e. has access to the Internet). If offline, the experience enters a 20-second retry period. If reconnection fails, a 'Failed to connect' message will be displayed, rendering the experience inoperable. When the device is back online, the Intuiface experience will resume automatically, and a view is counted.
Tracking view counts and quota
Any experience published to the web using PLN will have a "Publish as webpage" tab in the My Experiences view of the Share and Deploy Console.
The first section of this tab, called "Experience URL(s)", lists all URLs associated with the given experience. (An experience published to the web can have more than one URL. In the example above/below, there is only one URL.) For each URL there are two numbers:
- Previous Month: This is the number of views consumed by this particular URL during the previous calendar month.
- Current Month: This is the number of views consumed by this particular URL during the current (uncompleted) calendar month.
Below the list of URLs is a section called "Views Usage". This section contains a cumulative bar chart identifying the total number of views consumed by all URLs for this particular experience in the current calendar month, and then the remaining number of views consumed in the current calendar month by all other experiences published to the web for the same Intuiface account.
In the example above, all experiences published to the web have combined to generate 697 views. All other experiences contributed 584 of those views; the current experience, across all URLs, contributed the remaining 113 views. The views quota for the calendar month is 5000; this user had purchased 4 x 1000 view packs to complement the default 1000 views.